I just delivered the keynote address “Educating for Innovation” at this big event in Calgary, with teachers, school leaders, education professors, and policy types:
After the keynote, I did a breakout session where I shared my research on how art school professors teach. Then, I asked the audience to work in small groups to apply these practices to their own teaching in math and science. They all had great ideas about how to teach for creativity! The lessons from art and design pedagogy are really powerful.
Tips for creativity from entrepreneurs:
- Practice doing something risky every day
- Get to know travelers, people who like unusual music, people who play charades
- Talk with children and try to answer the offbeat questions they ask
- Try a new boardgame with your family
- Make a holiday meal with your family, with each person preparing a different dish
- Pretend to be a stranger in your own town
- Break at least one rule every day
*Stephen R. C. Hicks, “What entrepreneurs can teach us all about life,” WSJ, May 6, 2016, p. R6.